Wednesday 30 March 2011

My friend Rachel and I have been creating a random sampler quilt in our class at Ozzy. We've both had enough of it now and are desperately trying to finish our quilts as soon as possible so that we can move on to other new stuff. I designed a block for this quilt on EQ7 and below are a few photos of my progress. The flying Geese are all foundation pieced and then I have built the units up just as you would with any curved block except for the middle circle which I put in when the 4 units were put together, using a neat trick which my old teacher Sue Propst taught us. Scroll down and you will see what I'm waffling on about!

I did the Geese in strips of 4 as my paper wasn't big enough to fit 8 on for the outer ring. Here I have joined two sets of 4 to make the strip of 8 blue and yellow geese.As you can see I have joined the 2 units together, which was easier said than done, I tried to match the points of the geese from each row. I have cut a few points off but on the whole I'm quite happy with it. At this stage I haven't ironed it as I didn't want to spoil any bias edges so it looks worse than it does in real life.

Cooking on gas now with the outer edge on. This was much easier than I expected. I cut all the outer edges generously so that I had room to rectify any mistakes.
And here we have the finished block! TaDah! I really like this and I wondered if it would make a workshop as the block is easily big enough to be a cushion. Any takers????? (Anyone mad enough?)


1 comment:

  1. Wow, these look fab, I am looking forward to seeing them in 'real life' on Saturday. At this rate, you will be quilting the whole thing then!

    ReplyDelete